Overview of Key Features¶
This topic lists the notable/significant features supported in the current release. Note that it does not list every feature provided by Snowflake.
In this Topic:
Security and Data Protection¶
- Choose the level of security you require for your Snowflake account, based on your Snowflake Edition.
- Choose the geographical location where your data is stored, based on your Snowflake Region.
- User authentication through standard user/password credentials.
- Enhanced authentication:
- All communication between clients and the server protected through TLS.
- Deployment inside a cloud platform VPC.
- Isolation of data via Amazon S3 policy controls.
- Support for PHI data (in compliance with HIPAA regulations) — requires Snowflake Enterprise for Sensitive Data (ESD).
- Automatic data encryption by Snowflake using Snowflake-managed keys.
- Object-level access control.
- Snowflake Time Travel (1 day standard for all accounts; additional days, up to 90, allowed with Snowflake Enterprise)
- Querying historical data in tables.
- Restoring and cloning historical data in databases, schemas, and tables.
- Snowflake Fail-safe (7 days standard for all accounts) for disaster recovery of historical data.
Standard and Extended SQL Support¶
- Most DDL and DML defined in SQL:1999, including:
- Advanced DML such as multi-table INSERT, MERGE, and multi-merge.
- Temporary and transient tables for transitory data.
- Lateral views.
- Statistical aggregate functions.
- Analytical aggregates (Group by cube, rollup, and grouping sets).
- Parts of the SQL:2003 analytic extensions:
- Information Schema for querying object and account metadata, as well as query and warehouse usage history data.
Tools and Interfaces¶
- Web-based GUI for account and general management, monitoring of resources and system usage, and querying data.
- SnowSQL (Python-based command line client).
- Virtual warehouse management from the GUI or command line, including creating, resizing (with zero downtime), suspending, and dropping warehouses.
- Broad ecosystem of supported 3rd-party partners and technologies.
- Support for using free trials to connect to selected partners.
- Extensive set of client connectors and drivers provided by Snowflake:
Data Import and Export¶
- Support for bulk loading and unloading data into/out of tables, including:
- Load any data that uses a supported character encoding.
- Load data from compressed files.
- Load most flat, delimited data files (CSV, TSV, etc.).
- Load data files in JSON, Avro, ORC, Parquet, and XML format.
- Load from S3 data sources and local files using Snowflake web interface or command line client.
- Support for continuous bulk loading data from files:
- Use Snowpipe to load data in micro-batches from internal stages (i.e. within Snowflake) or external stages (i.e. in S3 or Azure).